October is Bullying Prevention Month. Every October since 2006, this national campaign has shed light on the harsh reality of bullying in schools. Here at the WELL, we foster a positive student community, utilizing Positive Youth Development philosophy and techniques.
For this week’s Friday Five, we highlight five statistics about bullying.
- 1 out of every 4 students report being bullied during the school year
- 64% of children who were bullied did not report it
- 19.6% of HS students in the United States report being bullied at school in the past year. 14.8% report being bullied online.
- School-based bullying prevention programs decrease bullying by up to 25%.
- Students report the most helpful things teachers can do are: listen, check in with the student after, and give students advice.
Follow us on social media for tips throughout this month on what you can do if you see bullying, how to talk to teens about bullying, and how to prevent bullying.
(All statistics found here: http://www.pacer.org/bullying/about/media-kit/stats.asp)