Our Friday Five this week is a bit of a flashback. We thought we would highlight just a few of the things the WELL accomplished in the most recent school year. With the 2015-2016 school year right around the corner (and already in progress for some) we’re looking to have an even bigger impact, and can’t wait to open our doors to students in a few short weeks.
Our year in review 2014-2015:
1. We supported 233 students through our ACT/SAT boot camps: an increase of 28% from the year before.
2. We kicked off a new program, Hi-Tech Teens, which allows high school students, especially young women, to explore computer science and technology in an environment free from gender-associated pressures. Hi-Tech Teens had 92 student and 57 mentor participants.
3. Our volunteer corps is growing! 18 volunteer tutors contributed 4,552 hours of tutoring for our students. Even better–we had a 100% passing rate!
4. Our 209 student members came from 19 area high schools! With 27 WCPSS high schools, we hope to broaden our reach even more this year!
5. Our students participated in 10 service events benefiting some great organizations: Step Up Ministry, Wake UP and Read, Glenwood Towers, and Feed the Pack (food drive).
These are just a few of the great things at the WELL. Visit our Programs & Services page to learn more!